Promoting, supporting and encouraging the study of the United States since 1955

British Association for American Studies


Minutes 290


Minutes 290

Minutes 290th

Minutes of the 290th meeting of the Executive Committee, held at the UCL Institute of the Americas, London on Friday 24 November at 1.30 pm.

  1. Present: Brian Ward (Chair), Sylvia Ellis (Secretary), Cara Rodway (Treasurer), Kate Dossett, Joe Street, Simon Hall, Nick Grant, Althea Legal-Miller, Katie McGettigan, Laura MacDonald, Ben Offiler, Emma Long, Paul Williams, Nick Witham, Katerina Webb-Bourne
  2. Apologies: Celeste-Marie Bernier, Bevan Sewell, Rachel Williams, Emily West, Ken Morgan
  3. Minutes of the Previous Meeting

These were accepted as a true record and will now go up on the website.

  1. Training on Trans Equality

Ray Filar delivered training on trans equality followed by a discussion of possible changes to BAAS policies and procedures.

  1. Matters Arising


  1. Review of Action List

The Chair asked the Exec to comment on the status of their Action List duties. Items will be addressed under the relevant sections below.


  1. Chair’s Business (BW reporting)

(a) Chair’s activities, meetings and correspondence (June 2017 – 24 November 2017)



  • The Chair report that he had held a meeting in Newcastle with Tim Gerhardson and Laura Saarinen (with Sylvia Ellis and Cara Rodway) re: future of BAAS-US Embassy grants. Agreed that BAAS would be invited to repeat previous year’s role, without having to reapply to administer the Embassy’s money, under precisely the same terms and conditions as in 2016-17 (ie: to promote interest in and understanding of the US). Next year, if there are still grants to disburse, BAAS will have to reapply formally for this role.


Because the Embassy money was only confirmed in late October, the two rounds of applications to cover the calendar year 2018 will be in January and May. The particulars will be advertised in the BAAS weekly email on November 26 and across our and the Embassy’s various media platforms.


The academic managers for this year will be Lydia Plath (Warwick) and Matthew Shaw (IHR, ex-British Library), with Katie Edwards (Keele) continuing as Admin support. The total amount of the Embassy grant is $100k, less the admin costs/honoraria of $10k. We would not anticipate awarding any single project with more than £10k. As last year, BAAS can apply to itself to support the annual conference. Colleagues should stand by to be recruited to serve on the assessment team once applications are in.


Provisional final reports for the 2016-17 rounds have now been prepared and shared with the Embassy, which is very happy with the diverse range of events and activities we selected for support – and extremely complimentary about the standard of record-keeping and reporting. Cara still has to sign off on the final accounts, but we may actually have an additional c.£4k coming to us, depending on how the Embassy wants to deal with ‘returns’ from projects that underspent.


The Chair expressed thanks to Katie Edwards and Jo Gill and Carole Holden, our first academic administrators, for their pioneering efforts.



  • Kim Dubois & Robert ‘Woody’ Johnson

The Chair reported that he had met with Kim Dubois, the very new cultural attaché, in Newcastle in mid-November. She seemed very amenable to further discussions about BAAS’s administration of awards moving forward and on other areas of cooperation.


Action Point:  the Chair to write a brief letter on behalf of the Association to formally welcome to the UK both Kim and the new Ambassador, Robert ‘Woody’ Johnson, who arrived in late August.



  • REF 2021


The Association was asked to nominate suitable sub-panel chairs for Area Studies in REF 2021 and asked for expressions of interest, with a CV and statement. We had three such applications and, after consultation among the Exec, we eventually endorsed all three candidates. UKCASA also endorsed the same candidates. REF/HEFCE will announce sub-panel chairs shortly.


We have also been asked to nominate suitable Americanist colleagues as sub-panel members, not just for Area Studies, but for English, history, politics, and possibly the new sub-panel that embraces film studies. We have advertised for expressions and, because of a potential conflict of interest and the Chair expressed his gratitude to Kate Dossett for overseeing the process of reviewing expressions of interest and making our nominations to REF and to UKCASA.



Achievements, Announcements and events of note to BAAS members


  • Promotion to Professor: Michael Cullinane (Roehampton);
  • Retirement: John Howard (King’s) – though still productive (published a documentary photobook White Sepulchres and gave at plenary at Palomares disaster symposium at the Autonomous University of Barcelona;
  • Prof. Martin Eve, Chair of Literature, Technology & Publishing at Birkbeck, University of London, selected for the 2018 KU Leuven (Belgium) Medal of Honour in the Humanities and Social Sciences for his work on open access publishing;
  • Death in August of Sandi Russell (Durham-based African American jazz singer-novelist-literary critic, frequent performer at many BAAS events and at Universities around the UK, especially with her one-woman show based on her book Render Me My Song).


  1. Secretary’s Business (SE reporting)


(a)        The Secretary noted that she had attended the meeting in Newcastle with Tim Gerhardson and Laura Saarinen (with Brian Ward and Cara Rodway) regarding the future of BAAS-US Embassy grants.


(b)        She confirmed that she had worked with Brian Ward and Kate Dossett on the REF panel chair nominations.


(c)        She had received several requests from media outlets for speakers and will worked with Nick Grant on a members directory of research interests.


Action:  To Liaise with NG re directory of members research on the web.



(d)        The next Executive meeting to be held on Thursday, 11 January 2018.



  1. Treasurer’s Business (CR reporting)
  • Bank accounts (as at 24 November 2017)

BAAS Current Account     £8,047.89

BAAS Savings Account   £105,149.66

PayPal                            £7,586.08

BAAS Publications Ltd   £49,224.50

CAF Savings Account    £20,000.00


TOTAL                        £190,008.13


  • Membership Figures per category as at 22 November 2017 (prepared by Louise Cunningham, BAAS Administrator)


Active memberships from the BAAS online membership system:-

Please note that I am unable to get a breakdown of concessionary membership types as the membership type field is not complete in all records. 

BAAS Membership (Honorary/Free) – 4 (Richard King/Helen Taylor/Sue Wedlake/Mick Gidley).  LC to contact Phil Davies/Ian Bell/Tony Badger to ask if they want free membership with online JAS or £25 membership with hard copy JAS.

Schools membership – 4 (schools data from the membership google spreadsheet hasn’t been imported to the online membership system)

Concessionary membership with JAS – 74

Individual membership with JAS – 149

Individual membership – 142

Concessionary membership – 273

Total active memberships = 646


Active memberships from the BAAS membership google spreadsheet:-

BAAS Membership (Honorary/Free) – 4 (Richard King/Helen Taylor/Sue Wedlake/Mick Gidley). LC to contact Phil Davies/Ian Bell/Tony Badger to ask if they want free membership with online JAS or £25 membership with hard copy JAS.

Schools membership – 16 (schools data from the membership google spreadsheet hasn’t been imported to the online membership system)

Concessionary membership with JAS – 69 (PG – 56, PR – 9, PU – 4)

Individual membership with JAS – 154

Individual membership – 150

Concessionary membership – 282 (PGN – 238, PRN – 20 PUN – 24)

Total active memberships = 675


Membership type key

Students (inc. Journal of American Studies) =PG

Students (JAS online) = PGN

Unwaged Members (inc. Journal of American Studies) =PU

Unwaged Members (JAS online) = PUN

Retired Members (inc. Journal of American Studies)           = PR

Retired Members (JAS online) = PRN


  • BAAS/US Embassy Awards programme 2017-18
    1. The first payment has been received from the Embassy on 21/11/2017 of £37,900.00 (equivalent of $50k). The second payment of $50k will be due in the Spring.


  • Move from old Charity registration to new CIO:
    1. Accounts for 2016 have been filed with the Charity Commission under our old registration (1002816) – these are now publically available via the CC website


  • CUP/Bertoli Mitchell:
    1. BAAS has now made its last payment due to Bertoli Mitchell under the agreement that saw them help BAAS renegotiate the CUP contract; this means BAAS will retain the 20% (plus VAT) of our CUP royalties which we have paid to BM since the new agreement was set in motion.


  • Standing Orders –
    1. As noted at the last meeting, due to having to open new bank accounts to comply with the change in legal status, members’ Standing Orders will cease to work; the bulk of SO payments arrive in January so Louise, Katie and CR have been in discussions with the web developers, Clear and Creative, to see if improvements can be made to the PayPal/BAAS website interface.
    2. The plan is to encourage all members to move to PayPal rather than have them set up new Standing Orders; PayPal is easier to administrate for Membership purposes. However, we will still provide Standing Order instructions to any members who request them.
    3. The Subscriptions area of the BAAS website has been much improved. Once logged in, members can now manually change their subscription levels.
    4. We need to do some final testing on the process of moving members from the old Standing Order category on to the PayPal platform [call for volunteers!]. Once that is complete, LC and CR will contact all affected members and explain the process for membership renewal.


  • Forthcoming Issues
    1. Charity Commission submission
      1. For the 2017 accounts we will need to make two submissions, one under our old registration for the first part of the year, and a second submission for the final part of the year under the new CIO registration (1170382). The accountants will help with this.
    2. Gift Aid
      1. This has not been collected in recent years. With the move to the online membership system it should be easier to get all members to complete a Gift Aid declaration and thus make an accurate claim to HMRC. There will be options for both new and existing members to make a declaration. CR will provide the web developers with the official wording and hopefully this will be made live shortly.


  1. Equality and Diversity (Althea-Legal Miller reporting)

ALM thanked Paul Williams for this paper on targeted research panels and the proposal that a pilot be launched at EBAAS and rolled out fully at the BAAS conference at the University of Sussex in 1919.  ALM confirmed that she would lead on this project.

Action Point:  ALM to provide updates on the launch of the project on target research panels


  1. Publications Subcommittee (JS reporting)
  2. a) Report of editors

Journal of American Studies:

JS requested and the Exec confirmed that the editors will be paid in line with inflation.


Numbers of submissions remain very high; there is a series of exciting forums and special issues coming up; and the editors are continuing to take steps aimed at improving the quality of the articles published to boost JAS’s standing in the field.   In 2017 JAS received 116 new manuscripts and 80 revisions, for a total of 196, and 85 have been accepted, or provisionally accepted (43%) and 57 have been rejected (29.1%).  The normal acceptance rate excluding those pieces committed to special issues, etc, is closer to 33%.


The editors noted that they see the next twelve months as marking the culmination of what they have been seeking to do during their time running the journal. The first phase, which probably accounted for the first two and a half years, was to encourage larger numbers of submissions from scholars across the American Studies community in order to make the journal more dynamic and diverse; the second phase, which they are presently in, was to start to try and encourage submissions that are stretching the boundaries of the field and that will position JAS as the leading publication in its field.  They always saw this as a four-year process and hope that by the time they hand over the journal to the new editors, those goals will have been accomplished.   This this will be reflected in the issues published in 2018, including:

* A special issue on Global Evangelicalism, guest-edited by Uta Balbier, Kendrick Oliver, Axel Schaefer and Hans Krabbendam (published in Nov 2017). * Two response by Kate Dossett and Katrina Powell to Sue Currell’s piece on Eugenics (published in April’s issue), which deal with questions relating to power and archives.

* A forum on the American South and the Black Atlantic, edited by Nicholas Grant and Elisabeth Engel.

* A group of short reflective pieces on doing American Studies in Australasia and the Pacific, edited by Sarah Gleeson-White and Thomas Adams

* A special issue edited by Joey Orr and Andy Ditzler, featuring a response by George Lipsitz, on Inhabiting Cultures.


In light of discussions at the executive, Joe Street has been delegated to nominate a keynote speaker for the 2019 BAAS conference, preferably one whose research focuses on and/or whose identity is LGTBQ+. JS drafted a shortlist of three (Robyn Wiegman, Duke Nan Alamilla Boyd, San Francisco State; Jon Bell, UCL) and requested views or additional suggestions from Exec members.

  1. b) Advert for new editors:

Advert was approved by Chair’s action.  Some expression of interest already and additional ones encouraged.

  1. c) Edinburgh University Press:

The editors had a productive meeting with Michelle Houston in December, and are planning strategically for new proposals. They are also mooting a session at EBAAS 2018.


  1. d) USSO


In the last quarter USSO has been focused on developing its engagement with its readership through special collaborations, guest-edited series, and a wide range of event and book reviews. The resulting works included Edward Mair’s (University of Hull) special article marking the 201st anniversary of the destruction of the ‘Negro Fort’ at Prospect Bluff (1816), Chelsea Olsen’s (University of Sussex) winning entry to the BAAS Postgraduate Essay Prize our continued collaboration with Adam Matthew Digital, which is currently on its second series, and our special featured series ‘Beyond the Graphic: Considering Violence, Sexuality and Obscenity in Comics’ guest-edited by Dr Harriet Earle (Sheffield Hallam).


Space has proved an important theme this quarter: reviews have examined the importance of urban spaces and the problems of homelessness and poverty within them, and sites we may not conceive as being traditionally ‘American’, like European and east Asian military bases, the Caribbean Islands, and Latin American states. The quarter will conclude with our State of the Discipline series. This set of reviews will survey cutting-edge work in the field while also celebrating its diversity. Christina Westwood (Keele University) will first take us to a contest fought between land and sea as Native Americans attempt to withstand colonial violence in Andrew Lippman’s The Salt Water Frontier: Indians and the Contest for the American Coast (Yale University Press, 2015). Jonathan Poutney (University of Manchester) brings us the latest in cultural theory with his review of Michael Denning’s fascinating portrayal of sound and movement in Noise Uprising: The Audiopolitics of a World Musical Revolution (Verso, 2015). Our series concludes with Miles Powell’s ambitious 2016 project on species extinction, racial peril, and the origins of conservation. Vanishing America (Harvard), Angela Sparks (University of Hertford shire)tells us, is the story both of America’s past and its future.


Next quarter we’re running a special book reviews series that will span the history of the United States from its inception to the present day with a veritable tour de force of this nation’s contested past: beginning with George Washington’s forging of a new state, we will consider communities of colour in the post-Reconstruction era, Brahmin capitalism in the Gilded Age and the emergence of the modern U.S. Army at the conclusion of the First World War, before wrapping up with a look at the Black Panthers in the Cold War, the origins of modern evangelicalism and the tragedy of the most recent war in Afghanistan.


Where international research networks are concerned, our blog featured Jesús Bolaño Quintero’s  (Cadiz University) research on ‘Overcoming Postmodernism. David Foster Wallace and a new Writing of Honesty.’ Upcoming posts include an article by Jeffrey Herlihy-Mera (Puerto Rico) on Transnational (Dis)obedience, as well as a piece by Mariya Nikolova (Potsdam University) discussing Mobility and the Avantgarde. Primarily, Katharina focused on putting together a USSO panel proposal for EBAAS 2018. Under the title ‘Materiality, Embodiment, Protest – Interdisciplinary Perspectives,’ USSO editors Katharina Donn, Ruth Lawlor and Jade Tullett propose to explore the relation between materiality, embodiment and protest. Inspired by cross-disciplinary dialogues, three papers demonstrate how material objects and wounded bodies can become sites of disobedience against ideological structures. From a historical perspective, Ruth Lawlor unearths the uneasy complicity of anti-racism protests with misogynist bias in rape trials during World War II. Here, resistance to stereotypical discourses emerges from the sexuality of the female body, while Katharina Donn explores how the materiality of city -and landscapes disrupts processes of reading and infuses them with epistemological ruptures. Jenny Holzer’s projections, which form the core of this literary approach, respond to a different global conflict, the war on terror of the 21st century, but share the same potential to re-charge vulnerability with cultural energy. Jade Tullett’s work on punk in the art gallery demonstrates how such material objects, once inserted in the art gallery, can become detached from popular music’s material culture through art-historical curation. It is this tension between materiality and the (im)possibility of cultural, political and discursive resistance that connects these three interdisciplinary approaches. Above all this panel aims to bring U.S. Studies Online from its online presence into the non-virtual world of international conferences.


This quarter also saw the running of this year’s USSO Keynote competition, which saw a 33% increase in entries, with all building on the high quality of last year. Reflecting the quality, the competition was tough, with all managing to cover an extraordinary breadth of topics and texts whilst staying connected to 2017’s BAAS/CHASE Postgraduate conference theme, ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident: Post-Truth & American Myths’. Patricia Malone’s entry ‘“We Hold These Truths to Feel Self Evident: Post-Truth and American Myths, or “The Tyranny of Intimacy”’ is this year’s winner of the USSO Keynote competition.


This year’s Keynote will be the last for the current team, whose term finishes in April next year.  Initial calls for applications in January, with a team changeover occurring by mid-April. But we’ve got a lot planned before then, including a special series engaging with perceptions of Muslim women, guest-edited by Hasnul Djohar (University of Exeter).  Also publishing a state of the discipline book review series to mark the end of the year.


USSO have achieved average quarterly unique visits of 10,100, meaning that so far this year over 42,600 yearly unique visits, with an average of 59,600 yearly page views.   This a testament not only the calibre of the assistant editors, who are invaluable, but to the work of the postgraduates and ECRs in the field.


  1. e) British Records Related to America on Microfilm

Joe Street and Dave Sarsfield are meeting this week to discuss progression of the project, in advance of its formal launch later this year. Stipends for interns and royalties will be on the agenda.


  1. f) MAP

JS reported that MAP wants to reserve the right to explore other opportunities in American Studies and use the BAAS logo as part of their advertising.  The Exec agreed to both requests.


Action:  KM will send JS the logo


  1. f) Equality and Diversity:

JS confirmed he had received policies from our partner institutions, including MAP, EUP and CUP.    JS also reported on the proportion of JAS submissions outside the UK (46.5% UK; rest of the world the remainder).



  1. Development and Education Subcommittee (KD reporting)



See ALM’s report above.



KD thanked Nick Grant for his work on the web and the e-bulletin.  Nick and Katie M will take with Clear and Creative about the glitches that several people had reported.


Work with Schools

KD reported that the School rep position remains unfilled.  NG will email for volunteers.  A BAAS Schools resources page and a working group on schools to be established.


Membership Survey

BO had provided a progress report to the subcommittee and will share this with the Exec and wider membership.  The level of sexual harassment is becoming clear and BO and the subcommittee will suggest a policy and practical steps to address this issue.


Action:  To share the membership survey report


  1. Conference Subcommittee (PW reporting)
  2. a) Equality and Diversity


The addition of a box to the application form for the Small Conference Grant scheme had compelled applicants to address Equality and Diversity. However, there was a widespread feeling that the commitments expressed were extremely generic, and not necessarily doing anything to bring new constituencies of scholars into BAAS-sponsored events.

Action Points: (1) Successful applicants should be encouraged to be more energetic in promoting their events beyond the existing pool of American Studies scholars (which PW has already done). (2) PW to rewrite the SCG with more specific prompts on how a more active and meaningful commitment to E&D might be manifested (e.g. accessibility, circulating CFPs)



The Subcom expressed support for the draft proposal for BAAS-funded Targeted Research Panels. LMcD noted that similar panels running at other scholarly conferences had reached out to local institutions and organized social events, productively going beyond conventional academic fora such as the three-paper panels / roundtables.



  1. b) BAAS 2017


Final reports had been received from the CCCU2017 organising team and PW commended them on their record keeping and thanked them for delivering, not only an intellectually rich conference, but a surplus of £5,661.22.



  1. c) EBAAS 2018


Acceptance and rejection letters had all been sent out to panel and paper proposers. A provisional schedule had been put together but, given the inevitable dropouts for such a large event, was likely to change. EBAAS had received 146 panel proposals and 226 individual paper proposals.


Members of EAAS had queried the rejection of their proposals, and Philip McGowan as EAAS President had emailed the EBAAS organizing team to request proof that no preferential bias had been given to scholars from any particular area or scholarly association. NW shared the acceptance statistics for paper proposals in the Subcom and any statistical differences were so slight as to be negligible. PW raised Philip McGowan’s correspondence in the Exec and expressed his confidence in the fairness and transparency of the selection process.


KWB has put together a programme of PG events for EBAAS:

    • On Wednesday, meeting in a room above a bar (possibly the Thirsty Bear), where PGs can meet reps from their respective scholarly associations.
    • Thursday: half of the tickets for the Robeson performance will be reserved for PGs
    • Friday: PG breakout lunch
    • Saturday: KWB will be conducting a gallery walk


Action Point:  KWB is going to ask senior academics to be present at one of the PG events



KWB is going to put together a list of tips for PGs to save money / make the most of the conference, which can be made available through USSO (for example).


Action:  KWB to draw up list


KWB raised the framing of the EBAAS acceptance email and said she had been fielding inquiries from PGs about the consequences of withdrawing from the conference on grounds of lack of funds. NW and DM clarified that they did not consider PGs in that particular situation to be in breach of professional trust, rather they wanted to underline that ‘no-shows’ were not acceptable.


A risk assessment had been carried out at the main conference venue (KCL). In the Exec Brian Ward (BW) was not certain he had received this document.


Action point: One of the EBAAS organizing team to forward the KCL risk assessment to BW.


This still leaves the two other venues at which EBAAS is taking place, UCL and the BL.


Action point:  CR to check a risk assessment was being undertaken at the BL.



BW asked in the Exec, presumably the event management people at UCL are conducting a risk assessment of the EBAAS events taking place anyway?


Action point:  Someone from the EBAAS organizing team to check UCL is conducting a risk assessment and, ideally, to forward it to BW.


NW/DM asked for the Exec to comment on a mooted plan to create a panel on threats to academic freedom in the current political climate. Specifically, they were contemplating waiving the cost of day registration for participants on this panel. Feedback was requested from the BAAS Exec on this proposal given, that this would imply some kind of backing of those speakers by BAAS/EAAS.   No-one in the Exec had any objections to such a panel being convoked and thought it would make an interesting addition to the programme. However, neither was there passionate support for waiving the registration fee for the participants.


In was reported in the Exec that the US Embassy would be reprising, for one year only, its arrangement with BAAS regarding the distribution of funds for the promotion of American Studies in the UK.


Action point:  PW to submit application for £6,800 to subsidize PG attendance and publicity materials for EBAAS2018 (10 Jan. 2018 deadline).


  1. d) BAAS 2019


TW reported that dates for BAAS2019 were now finalized and rooms had been booked. The organizing team were trying to persuade the U of Sussex to waive the room hire fees; this was not yet confirmed.


The Metropole Hotel (as featured in The Waste Land) banquet was provisionally costed at £50pp, with the room holding 250 people but the opportunity to go up to 350 if there was sufficient demand. The presence of the banquet within the overall full weekend registration fee was debated in the Exec, with no real decision made about the best way forward, nor the extent to which BAAS should subsidize attendance at the banquet for PGs It was agreed that when TW and TD were closer to having full costings worked up for the conference to look at the available options.


TW thought one of the conference themes could be the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall riots and transatlantic networks of LGBTQ+ activism.


TW and TD have tentatively approached some speakers but nothing has been finalized, partly due to slowness in establishing what kind of fee might be commanded. TW is keen to ascertain what kind of speaker will be approached to be the JAS keynote (and the Eccles Centre keynote) so as to ensure a diverse range.


Action point: Joe Street (on behalf of JAS) agreed to email TW to push these conversations on further.



TW reported that various extracurricular events were being explored, such as visiting Tom Paine’s house in Lewes on the Saturday (the house is a 90-minute walk away) or holding a special session in the Paine-associated Headstrong Club.



  1. e) BAAS 2021


Bids still expected to be submitted for the 2021 conference.



  1. f) BAAS Postgraduate Conference


KWB noted that an excellent programme had been put together by Jessica Houlihan and Maria-Irina Popescu for the BAAS PG Conference being held at the University of Essex (25-26 Nov. 2017) and encouraged members of the Subcom to attend.


KWB informed the Subcom that a speaker had withdrawn from the PG Conference and indicated his discontent at being asked to pay the £10 registration fee to attend the event. It was agreed that future PG conferences should include the cost of attendance for invited speakers within the budget.


Action point: PW and KWB should collaborate on a set of briefing notes for PG conference organizers along the same lines as the protocols produced for the BAAS Annual Conference.


IAAS has declined, for a second time, to move forward on a joint PG conference with BAAS. KWB had opened discussions with HOTCUS to hold a joint BAAS-HOTCUS PG Conference in Nottingham in 2018. This was brought to the Exec and it was agreed that the opportunity to host the PG Conference should be made available to all BAAS PGs.


Action point:  KWB to circulate a call for bids to host the 2018 BAAS PG Conference; Nottingham would be welcome to submit a bid, whether for a joint conference with HOTCUS or otherwise.



  1. g) Small Conference Support Grant


There were five applications to this scheme and the total amount requested was exactly the same as the amount left to distribute (£1350). It was agreed that all applicants made a decent case and deserved funding, so no ranking or decisions on how much to award each applicant needed to take place. However, one of the applications was for travel grants for US-based PGRs to deliver papers at The Body and World War Two conference in the UK, and PW agreed to check with CR whether this was allowable. The Subcom did want to provide financial support to this event, especially because there was a more concrete commitment to E&D than some of the other applications.


Action point:  PW to inform successful applicants, sent out expense claims forms, and update the spreadsheet in the shared folder on google drive (this has been done). AP: PW to liaise with CR over the award of £300 to The Body and World War Two conference.


  1. Awards Subcommittee (EL reporting)

EL thanked those who had volunteered to sit on panels for awards.  Awards have been advertised and are now on the web.  Posters have been circulated.   EL requested Exec members to encourage applications (deadlines imminent).


  1. EAAS

More individual papers than panels had been rejected for the EBAAS conference.  EBAAS is drafting a response in response to an issue around papers.

  1. Any Other Business

Cara Rodway announced the appointment of Philip Hatfield as the new Head of the Eccles Centre.

Ben Offiler administered the prize draw for the membership survey.

  1. Date of next meeting: Thursday, 11 January 2018

Secretary:  Professor Sylvia Ellis / Email:  Sylvia/ Phone: 01913 342570