Promoting, supporting and encouraging the study of the United States since 1955

British Association for American Studies

×

Report from Miroslawa Buchholt, Eccles Centre Visiting European Fellow in North American Studies 2017

Join BAAS

[vc_row][vc_column][bsf-info-box icon=”Defaults-pencil” icon_size=”32″ icon_color=”#1e73be” title=”Thanks to the Eccles Centre Visiting European Fellowship I was able to explore Canadian writer Mavis Gallant’s transcultural writing in more depth and compare her experience of expatriation with Ernest Hemingway and Miroslav Sasek, writes Miroslawa Buchholtz.” pos=”left”][/bsf-info-box][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]It was a great privilege to conduct research on Mavis Gallant’s fiction and its political and literary pretexts, subtexts and contexts in the British Library in London in September 2017. I found much more in the British Library than I had expected and as a result my research moved in directions that could not have been foreseen, while at the same time my grip on the issues that are central to Gallant’s transcultural writing was becoming stronger. I explored publications on history of emotions, comparing a variety of methodologies they exemplify with the needs of my own research. I compared Gallant’s experience of expatriation with the biographical information and work done by such authors as Ernest Hemingway (in whom I found resistance to transculturation) and Miroslav Sasek (who turned culture shock into a series of classics of picture guidebook). I returned home with an abundance of ideas which are taking the shape of essays, articles and a book. It was very reassuring and motivating to see so many hard-working people in the reading rooms of the British Library. The support of the British Association for American Studies and the Eccles Centre team, and especially its Director Philip J. Davies was beyond compare.

Miroslawa Buchholtz is a Professor in Toruń, Poland.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Archive