Promoting, supporting and encouraging the study of the United States since 1955

British Association for American Studies


Meeting 249


Meeting 249

BAAS Executive Committee Meeting: Janury 12, 2007

Minutes of the 249th meeting of the Executive Committee, held at Manchester Metropolitan University on Janury 12, 2007.

1. Present

S Newman (Chair), C Smith (Vice Chair), H Macpherson (Secretary), G Thompson (Treasurer), S Castillo, R Crockatt, J Davies, M Halliwell, W Kaufman, S MacLachlan, J Metcalf, C Morley, I Scott, J Virden, T Saxon

Apologies H Lowe, I Ralston

In Attendance

G Lewis

2. Minutes of the Previous Meetings

After the correction of minor typographical errors, these minutes were accepted as a true record and will now be posted on the website.

3. Matters Arising and Review of Action List

There were no matters arising that do not come up elsewhere on the agenda.

4. Chair’s Business

a) The Chair noted the following promotions and appointments: Kevern Verney has been appointed to a chair in American History at Edge Hill University; Peter Rawlings has been appointed to a chair in American Literature at the University of the West of England; John Howard has been appointed to a chair in American Studies at King’s College London; and Heidi Macpherson has been appointed to a chair in American Literature at the University of Central Lancashire. Professor Martin Halliwell has been appointed onto the AHRC Postgraduate Panel for English Language and Literature. Congratulations were extended to each of these members.

b) SN reported that in October, he had attended Professor Linda Kerber’s Caroline Robbins Lecture, an annual lecture formerly sponsored by the Institute of United States Studies, and now jointly sponsored by the Institute for the Study of the Americas and the British Group of Early American Historians. In November the Chair gave a lecture at the Rothermere American Institute on the changing face of American history and American Studies in Britain.

c) SN reported that he had drafted and submitted several reports for various consultations. He submitted a response to the report of Research Councils UK (RCUK) on the efficiency and effectiveness of peer review. He also drafted and submitted a response to the AHRC Review of Postgraduate Funding with help from the officers and suggestions from the Executive. On the basis of that response, the Chair has been invited to Bristol to discuss the issue with Dr. Emma Wakelin (Associate Director for Post Graduate Affairs) and Professor Tony McEnery (Director of Research). This is a positive move and suggests that they are willing to listen to BAAS’s concerns regarding block grants. SN elicited responses from the Executive about what he should say for BAAS. The discussion focused on ring fencing and the need for an interdisciplinary bid panel. GT asked if there were other organizations making the case for interdisciplinary studies. SN noted that UKCASA was doing so; SN is to contact Philip Davies and Dick Ellis to share ideas. CS noted that the strongest point made is that institutions’ own internal priorities may mean that national agendas are overlooked, and this should be of concern for a national funding body. It was suggested that BAAS offers itself as a case study/test case, to assess the health of the subject, comparing interdisciplinary American Studies projects’ success against single discipline American History or American Literature projects, for example. This was agreed. SN asked for members to email him with other ideas before 7 February meeting.

d) The Chair reported that HM, JV and Alex Waddan (Leicester) had responded on behalf of BAAS and the American Studies community to the Quality Assurance Agency with feedback on the revised benchmark statements for English, History and Politics respectively. Thanks were extended to them.

e) SN has been in dialogue with Sue Wedlake and Michael Macy at the US Embassy, who are keen to sponsor some sort of launch event for the American Studies component of the Area Studies boxes under development for use in schools. Discussions are ongoing. The US Embassy is also helping to fund some travel by the Chair in the United States later this spring. The Chair will meet with colleagues at the Universities of New Hampshire and Virginia, as well as the International Center for Jefferson Studies at Monticello, to discuss existing agreements with BAAS, and possible expansion. The Chair will also visit other universities (perhaps including Minnesota, Wyoming, and California State Fresno) in order to discuss possible American Studies postgraduate studentships, faculty exchanges, and other collaborative ventures with BAAS.

f) SN confirmed that the Treasury has announced that RAE 2008 will go ahead as planned, with funding being determined by the results for several years thereafter.

g) The Chair noted that the Times Higher Education Supplement reported on 27 October 2006 a 25.6% drop in the number of students accepted onto American Studies courses. While numbers are indeed dropping, and not just for American Studies, the figures are misleading, and the Treasurer wrote a letter to the THES responding to the inaccuracies. Thanks were extended to GT for his efforts. The numbers for this year are looking more encouraging.

5. Secretary’s Business

a) The Secretary circulated correspondence received, including information on legacies, but noted that, as before, most of the items she receives now come electronically and are thus distributed as she receives them (i.e., the Charity Commission Newsletter). SN is to contact Peter Thompson to pursue the issue of legacies further.

b) HM reported on actions taken as Secretary since September. She has organized the nominations from BAAS to the Academy of Social Sciences. We will hear the results in a month or so. She has also helped direct people with research and grant queries to the appropriate sources; distributed calls for papers, conferences, new employment opportunities, etc., through the listserv; updated the BAAS leaflet and ensured that the Postgraduate Conference had copies; wrote BAAS’s response to the revised QAA benchmark statement for English; worked with SN and other officers on various consultation documents (postgraduate funding, etc.); liaised with Rose Harding, the events coordinator at Southwark Cathedral regarding the Queen’s visit on 22 November to the unveiling of a memorial stone to a Mohican chieftain. HM supplied the names of leading Americanists to attend the unveiling. HM was invited but unable to attend.

c) HM noted that she had written a notice for ASIB regarding the AGM, noting the change of date and the offices that will fall vacant. HM noted that elections at the AGM will include Chair, 3 Committee members, and the EAAS representative. CS, having served two terms, is coming to the end of her time on the Committee, and thanks were extended to her, particularly for her work on the Publications subcommittee and as Vice Chair. JV’s term is also non-renewable, and thanks were extended to her. However, as agreed previously, she will continue on the Committee as an ex-officio member during her term as EAAS Secretary General. Two other current executive members are eligible for re-election.

d) HM attended the Town Meeting on Metrics in September and reported back electronically. Since then there has been the announcement that peer review will still remain an important part of research funding in the arts and humanities.

e) HM noted that she was responsible for organizing the BAAS representatives for the Academy of Social Sciences Presidential Lunch, to be held at the House of Lords, 31 January 2007. Representatives currently include RC, SN, JV, HM, and MH. SC asked to be included. HM will contact Caroline Bucklow to confirm numbers and names this weekend. Wherever possible, it was agreed that individual institutions should bear the cost of this event.

f) HM reported that, on behalf of BAAS, she had liaised with BBC Radio 5 Live after the November elections about the role of US women politicians.

g) HM discussed the next meeting, at Leicester, and asked individuals to let her know if they needed overnight accommodation on the Wednesday night. She will liaise with GL about organizing this.

6. Treasurer’s Business

a) The Treasurer distributed a report to the Committee, noting that balances on 12.01.07 are as follows: Deposit, £40,370.64;STA, £17,179.14; Current account, £427.84; Conference, £6,832.96; Lib. Res., £2.76; Ed. Development, £4,977.47; making a total of £69790.81. In addition, the RBS Jersey account has £14,906.57, and US dollar account has $5636.10. There is another £1000 in the PayPal account.

b) GT reported that current membership figures for fully paid up members stand at 351 members, including 107 postgraduates. This compares favourably to the position last year on this date, which was 287 members. When those who haven’t so far updated their Standing Orders are included, the numbers rise to 423 (128 postgraduates). The highest possible membership figure (taking into account the above and those who have yet to renew for 2007) is 541 (including 186 postgraduates). Given the above information, the number of members declared for EAAS is 423. For CUP, membership including JAS is 323 (351-29: student, retired, or unwaged members who elect not to take the journal). This number is likely to rise, since the list is not sent off until March.

c) GT reported that he had received a bank transfer for £15,000 from the British Library to cover the 2007 Eccles Centre Fellowships (currently in the general deposit account). He has also received $1500 from the International Center for Jefferson Studies, Monticello, for the 2006 Barringer Fellowship and reported that there had been some confusion over how this Fellowship was to be paid. Apparently, if it is paid by Monticello, the Fellow has to apply for a J1 visa, which can be a lengthy process for such a short visit. Monticello has no problem reimbursing expenses, but in future, the money for the Fellowship will need to be paid directly to BAAS and then onto the Fellow.

d) GT reported that he had paid out £200 for the Congress to Campus speakers (as agreed at a previous meeting), £50 for each speaker.

e) GT reported that PayPal is now a substantial source of membership income, with approximately £1000 of membership fees paid for this way. This seems to be a successful way of ensuring that overseas members can renew membership or become new members easily. Thanks were extended to GT for his efforts in this area.

f) GT reported on the progress of the Gift Aid claim. At the last meeting, GT had identified income to BAAS of £14,334 eligible for a Gift Aid claim. This figure now stands at £18,309, but there remain difficulties in establishing a clear audit trail. BAAS can claim 28% back on this money, so it is important to ensure that the amount is correctly assessed. Some of the Gift Aid declarations only state that the member wanted BAAS to claim Gift Aid on their donation to the STAs. The wording as it stands on all the Gift Aid declarations does not match the suggested wording by the Inland Revenue and as such, GT reported that he is reluctant to go forward with the claim as it currently stands. One of the other problems is that the declarations are not held in a single place, but distributed across several years of membership forms as part of the member subscription. GT suggested that the best solution to these problems is to ask the 165 members for whom he has money identified for a Gift Aid claim to complete a new Gift Aid declaration that meets IR approval. This means not only do we have a proper form of words, but that we also have all the forms in one place. GT reported that he could post this out in the next couple of weeks, ask for a reply by the end of February and hopefully get a claim submitted before the AGM. This was agreed. GT also noted that BAAS can always claim later for members who don’t return the forms on time, or for other members who sign the forms subsequently. It was agreed that all members should be given an opportunity to support Gift Aid, and to that end, a mailshot to all members will be sent out shortly, possibly with ASIB, or with a stamped addressed envelope for ease of return. GT is to follow this up. He will also ensure that forms are available at the conference.

7. Development Subcommittee (RC reporting)

a) RC reported that there were four items under discussion in the morning meeting. The first of these was the production of a CD to promote American Studies, entitled “Why American Studies?” which follows on from a similar project for Languages, “Why study Languages?” As previously noted, £19k was given to produce it, £10k of which went to the individual producing the pack, with the remainder to be given to the LLAS for distribution costs. BAAS needs to make a decision as to how many to purchase for distribution to individual American Studies programmes. The cost is estimated to be 33-50p per item. Thus if BAAS ordered 10,000, the cost could be anywhere from £3333, for example. RC noted that the Subcommittee’s recommendation was that it was worthwhile for us to spend this money as a one-off cost because the admissions situation is serious at present. In principle the Executive agreed to go ahead, but postpone the decision on actual numbers to purchase until the April meeting, which would also allow us to see the prototype before committing fully. RC reported that he was impressed by the Languages pack and its usability. He will be going to LLAS committee meeting next week and will be able to clarify costs. There was some discussion that ensued regarding how “national versus institutional” such a CD would be, and it was agreed that BAAS would support a national CD, not one that would need to be altered by individual departments. The finished article will be ready this summer, so it is hoped that it will have an impact on 2008 admissions figures. The Committee agreed that it is crucial for BAAS to be proactive in supporting and defending AS. SN also lent his support strongly.

b) RC noted that as previously circulated, the library subcommittee has begun to develop a wikipedia entry on American Studies in the UK and asked for feedback from BAAS on it. There was considerable discussion about the merits of such an entry, with some colleagues suggesting that it could be a valuable tool in PR terms, though as a research resource, it is like other wikipedia entries and not subject to strict quality control. RC asked committee members to look at it again, and will contact Phil Davies at the BL regarding it as well. The site can be viewed and changed at

c) RC reported that the most pressing postgraduate business was the site for the next conference. The organizers of the Nottingham conference have written a letter to BAAS thanking them for funding.

d) RC reported that the majority of the subcommittee’s time was spent discussing a valuable and interesting report by Hannah Lowe on schools liaison, particularly recruitment to American Studies at City and Islington Sixth Form, focusing on why students with working class backgrounds tend not to follow AS. A discussion ensued regarding various ways of trying to remedy the situation. RC will contact HL to ask her to write up a short report in ASIB perhaps for the next issue. RC plans to talk to people who have lists of schools (PD, IR) to see if we can make visits, talk to students, etc. And will report back at the next meeting. HL’s report showed that when academics visited schools (rather than vice versa), this made more difference than anything else. It was acknowledged that this is a labour intensive activity. RC is to email Heads of AS departments to explore how they recruit, whether they focus on A Level reading days, with taster sessions, or admissions fairs, or visits to schools and colleges.

e) RC reported that, unusually, there were no funding requests this quarter.

8. Publications Subcommittee (CS reporting)
a) CS reported that there will be a full report from BRRAM editor K Morgan shortly. Dr. Roderick Vassie, commissioning editor, attended the morning subcommittee, and reported that the BRRAM series investigating relevant material in Scottish archives. One particular area of interest is the papers of Sir Esme Howard, Ambassador to Washington.

b) CS noted that EUP remains very pleased with continued health of the BAAS paperbacks series. Two new titles are shortly to be published: Religion, Culture and Politics in the Twentieth-Century United States by Mark Hulsether will be coming out in May, and Contemporary Native American Literature by Rebecca Tillett will be published in October 2007. Thanks were offered to SN for editing the former book quickly. CS will put out a new call for proposals structured around thematic ideas or single author studies shortly.

c) CS officially welcomed the new JAS Editor and Associate Editor, Susan Castillo and Scott Lucas. SC is now a member of the BAAS Committee as a result of her appointment. The editors have discussed whether it would be advisable to consider altering the term of office for the editor and associate editor (currently set at 5 years). One reason for considering a shorter term is that it would therefore allow a variety of individuals the opportunity to take on this major responsibility. CS reported that discussions with CUP and the editor have now begun, and she will report back to the next meeting. This would change our written agreement with CUP.

d) CS also reported that Scott Lucas and SC have carefully demarcated jobs and responsibilities; one area of further discussion is how to deal with book reviews. John Matlin, the editorial assistant, has noticed a larger number of books coming up for review, and proposed a screening process to select books of greater impact which might be reviewed first. CS reported that the subcommittee had some concerns over this process, and felt that further discussions were required. One concern is who is on the selection committee and whether there is a sufficient range of expertise. The subcommittee acknowledged that there is a pragmatic problem with the number of books to be reviewed, so it does need to be addressed in some way.

e) CS reminded the Committee that the JAS lecturer at Leicester will be Linda Kerber and SL will be doing the introduction; if for some reason, he is unable to do so, Janet Beer has agreed to step in. CS also noted that at the April meeting, new names for editorial board will come forward and the Committee was reminded of the appointments procedure. There are five places.

f) CS reported that the next ASIB deadline has been extended slightly, but all relevant items are needed within the next fortnight.

g) CS noted that the new editor of US Studies Online proposed that there be 3 issues a year instead of 2: April, August and December. The subcommittee recommended that this was tried for one year and if successful, would continue. This was agreed. The editor also proposed that the journal include book reviews and that BAAS therefore appoints a book reviews editor. This was not supported.

h) CS reported that the website continues to be an important source of information, and that GT had been an excellent webster for us. However, given his extra responsibilities as Treasurer, he now wished to step down. Thanks were offered to GT for his development of the website and his sterling work as webster. He has agreed to help advertise the post. In the first instance, names should be put forward to GT and CS and the position is likely to be advertised on the mailbase.

9. Conference Subcommittee (SM reporting)
a) SM reported that the planning for Leicester is well underway. The subcommittee suggested minor changes to the programme. For example, it was agreed that the AGM will come before the plenary and dinner on Friday, with a short break built in. GL has made a few other minor changes with timing and with regard to panel constitution which will be revised on line. JV suggested that chairs of the panels before the AGM should make an announcement about the importance of attending the AGM. This was agreed. Michael Neufeld, of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum (Washington DC) is to take part in a roundtable discussion on Sputnik and has been invited to the banquet. There followed some discussion of the guest list for the banquet, and it was confirmed that SM and GL administer this list and any suggestions for names should go via them. Committee members were reminded that if they want to attend the planetarium event at the end of the conference, they need to confirm this with GL because of limited space.

b) The programme for the conference looks very good, and GL was commended on this. He would like volunteers for chairs from the executive.

c) There was a general discussion about the constituency of the conference. For example, a number of people have suggested that they only want to come for one day, and the reasons for this were explored. Some concerns were expressed over the relatively low numbers of senior members offering to present papers at BAAS. This led to a discussion about encouraging panel submissions as opposed to individual papers, which could be solicited from senior academics (though of course they would still be subject to peer review, as with all proposals). There was also some discussion about retired members having access to a cheaper rate. This was not resolved but will be reviewed at the next meeting, as it is too late to put in place for Leicester’s conference anyway.

d) SM confirmed that the Abstracts OnLine project will be up and running soon.

e) SM reported that there had been further discussions over the dates for the Edinburgh conference (27-30 March) because these dates clash with the Organisation of American Historians (OAH) conference. It was decided in the end not to change the dates as they had already been published and accommodation had been secured. SM visited Edinburgh in late November and everything looks good: there is good accommodation available (with two levels offered), which is very close to the buildings where the sessions will take place. The price is likely to be just over £300. Civic venues are being investigated. SM noted that she had checked the protocol for inviting both Consulate and Embassy personnel, and reported that Sue Wedlake responded by saying that people from both places could be invited and should be. Thus Lisa Vickers (Consul) and the usual Embassy guests will have invitations extended to them. SM mentioned that the Ambassador is unable to attend the Leicester conference, but Michael Macy and Sue Wedlake will attend on behalf of the Embassy. SM reported that the Nottingham dates have yet to be confirmed, but plans are very advanced there already. Celeste-Marie Bernier will be the conference organizer and the costs are looking reasonable.

10. Awards Subcommittee (IS reporting)

a) IS reported that the awards cycle is well underway for this year. The STA competitions have now closed and there are almost the name number of applications this year as last. Panels have been organized for judging these awards. The awards panels for the Ambassador Awards (deadline end of Jan.) and PG essay prize (deadline mid-Feb.) are currently being constituted. The Book Prize competition has now closed and the panel is almost ready to be confirmed.

b) IS asked Executive members to ensure that these awards are well advertised in their departments. It was also confirmed that postgraduates could enter the same essay for both postgraduate competitions. IS intends to send several reminders about deadlines over the mailbase until the deadlines pass.

c) IS announced that there is another interesting initiative for funding school teachers being developed by the Embassy in conjunction with the Fulbright Commission. It is likely to focus on research for teachers at secondary level into American Studies topics/subjects. Built into the award may be funding for things like attendance at BAAS conference. The amount available is not clear just yet, nor how many people could/would be funded. Yet to be confirmed would be BAAS’s role, if any, in the award judging. IS and SN have been in contact with SW about this. In principle the Committee supports developments in this area.

d) IS reported that the subcommittee had discussed the awards ceremony, the look of the certificates, and ensuring further publicity after the events, such as a feature in ASIB showing the winners.

e) IS noted that the subcommittee had discussed the sums of money available for each award, and would henceforth do so annually. It was agreed that the award amounts, having been raised last year, should stay the same for the moment.

f) IS publicly thanked the awards administrator, Michelle Smith, who is based at Manchester, for her invaluable help. The funding for this post will need to be reviewed annually, as it is currently linked partially to the Eccles Centre awards.

g) It was agreed that the Awards subcommittee will always meet separately in January since this is the period of time where the most business occurs, but that it may meet with Development for the other two meetings of the year, depending on need.

h) IS reported that the Embassy is interested in pursuing a prize every two years, similar to the Franklin Prize. Discussions about this are ongoing. It was also agreed that recipients of awards should only get some of the money up front, in order to ensure compliance with the requirements stipulated.

i) CM noted that she doesn’t get all the STA reports for ASIB; it was agreed that we should reinstate the former procedure, whereby reports go to the Treasurer, who passes them on. CM asked for a list of recent winners so that she could ensure that this year, the reports were made. This was agreed. IS is to forward CM the latest list with contact details.

j) IS reported that BAAS had received Embassy funding of £6050. This is broken down to the Ambassadors awards and publicity: £2350 for 2007; Conference costs: £3700, including Admin and publicity costs, £2000, plus 5 teacher bursaries worth £1700 total. HM queried the fact that there was no support for STAs in this bid. IS is to look into this for future bids, as in previous years, the Embassy has supported STAs as well. Last year BAAS received a total of around £14,000 from the Embassy, but that had been a particularly generous amount to mark the 50th anniversary of BAAS.

k) JV requested that attempts were made to tally up the amount that BAAS awards every year to announce at the conference. Although there are some difficulties with this, it was agreed in principle since it shows members the value of the work that BAAS undertakes. It was also agreed that, where possible, photographs of the awards ceremony should be put on the website.

l) SN queried the progress on the Monticello fellowships. Subsequent to the meeting, BAAS was notified that this fellowship was still being supported and should continue. IS is to liaise with SN and the US contacts about this award.

11. Libraries and Resources Subcommittee (CM reporting on behalf of IR)

a) In the absence of IR, CM offered a verbal report of the Library and Resources subcommittee’s activities over the last quarter. She noted that that the subcommittee’s standing orders had been approved and agreed. Kevin Halliwell had raised the issue of institutional membership. This was discussed at length, and GT agreed to look into the possibility, but with clear stipulations on what this would entail. No decision could be taken at this time since BAAS would need to check with CUP about whether this was possible (if JAS were to be included). Another way forward would be to exclude JAS and only allow one representative to attend the conference at members’ rates.

b) CM noted that the subcommittee felt it was beneficial to have a separate treasurer and account, though GT had questioned the need for a separate account given the small amounts involved. CM reported that though the final figure was low, there was a great deal of movement in the account. A £1,400 grant from the US Embassy had been received, in addition to £200 advertising revenue. Eurospan still owes £400 for advertising, and the bill for printing Resources for American Studies (RAS) has not yet been received. Printing costs are expected to be £1,300. There will be a small royalty fee for images supplied by Aberdeen University. Given this information, it was agreed that the status quo would remain.

c) CM reported that the subcommittee had, as requested, been offered a slot at the Leicester conference, but a similar panel from the BL had also been accepted, and so the subcommittee relinquished their slot.

12. EAAS (JV reporting)
a) JV reported that the latest EAAS newsletter, number 57, came out in October 2006. The new editor, Vice President Martin Heusser, has taken over, and it is hoped that the newsletter will be more timely with the introduction of new software. This version of the newsletter contains workshop reports from the 2006 Cyprus conference, Board minutes and minutes from the hand-over meeting in Paris.

b) JV noted that EAAS President Marc Chénetier has continued to work on his two latest initiatives: the European Journal of American Studies (EJAS) and the European library of American Studies. The EAAS Board is currently reviewing the editorial board membership for the EJAS and will discuss this in Wittenberg in April. The (virtual) European library focuses on promoting the work of European scholars of America who have published in English. Because our members publish overwhelmingly in English, BAAS has opted out of this initiative.

c) JV reported that EAAS also helped to sponsor, in conjunction with the German Association, an inaugural meeting of the European Study Group for 19th Century American Literature in Poland in October, which was attended by 20 scholars from throughout Europe and the US. The Study Group hopes to consolidate its initial venture by having more study group meetings in future years. If anyone is interested in joining or learning more about this, they should consult the EAAS newsletter. It is meant primarily for early career scholars.

d) JV has booked her travel for the next meeting of the Board in Wittenberg from 12-14 April, the week before the BAAS conference. The cost to BAAS has been minimal at £167 for air fare.

e) JV reminded the Executive that the deadline for the submission of workshop proposals for the Oslo conference (May 2008) is 31 January 2007. JV as Secretary General is coordinating this. Currently there are only 8 workshop proposals and only one parallel lecture. The EAAS Board is keen to select workshops that conform to the theme.

f) JV noted that the EAAS Treasurer Hans-Jürgen Grabbe has acquired a new domain for the EAAS website: The current site will continue to work for the next few months until the transition is complete.

g) JV reported on an initiative by Marc Chénetier to secure funds from member associations (starting with the French Association) outside of the dues normally paid to EAAS to fund specific initiatives. A full discussion of this proposal ensued. It was agreed that if a specific proposal was put forward, it should go through the regular funding procedure administered by the Development subcommittee and each initiative would be looked at on an individual basis.

h) JV was happy to report that the EAAS Postgraduate Forum has taken off due to JM’s involvement and initiative. The first stage includes a webpage with the details of all postgraduate representatives in Europe. It is not yet clear who will be responsible for maintaining the website, which will post announcements, advertisements, etc.

i) JV has compiled a list of prior EAAS representatives, with the help of Mick Gidley. It is sadly incomplete (see below) but calls for further information did not elicit additional information.

Jenel Virden (Hull) (2002-2007)
Mick Gidley (Leeds)
David Adams (Keele)
Bob Burchell (Man U and Eccles Centre)
Mark Leaf (Durham) [deceased]
Harry Allen (UEA) [deceased]

13. Any Other Business

a) There was no other business.

14. Date of next meeting
19 April 2007 at Leicester at 11am

Prof. Heidi Macpherson, Secretary.
Phone (office): (01772) 893039 or 893040
Fax: (01772) 892970